April 5, 2011

Korean Lacquer Artist Holds Exhibition in China



Chosun Ilbo


Master lacquer craftsman Jun Yong-bok, who taught his trade to Korean Wave star Bae Yong-joon in Japan, is holding an exhibition in China. "I want to test my abilities through the exhibition in China," Jun (59) said. "China accounts for 90 percent of the world's lacquer production and has a long history of the craft."

He added the exhibition could provide a chance to restore lacquer works in China. Jun's exhibition will be at the National Art Museum of China in Beijing from April 6 to 16.

The NAMC usually exhibits modern Chinese artworks, as well as collecting and researching them. A solo exhibition of Jun's works at the Chosun Ilbo Art Gallery in May of last year paved the way for the exhibition in China. One executive from a Chinese IT company who saw the exhibition last year offered to feature Jun's works in China.

He will showcase around 50 of his works, including an armoire depicting Mt. Kumgang in North Korea, as well as stationery chests and other traditional Korean furniture. "I chose works that blend traditional and modern features to highlight the unique Korean style," Jun said.

Jun returned to Korea last spring after living in Japan for 23 years. In April last year, he was offered a job by a furniture company in Incheon to add an artistic touch to Korean home designs and opened his own work studio in the port city. In August, he opened a lacquer training academy in southern Seoul. "When I held my solo exhibition, I noticed a lot of people are interested in lacquer," he said.

Born in Busan, Jun had to make money to support his parents and family since childhood. His only escape was to draw pictures during his breaks. He learned lacquer craft after getting a job at a furniture company to support his family and rose to fame in Japan in 1988 after receiving a repair order from the operator of Meguro Gajoen, a huge gala banquet hall in Tokyo established in the early 1930s.

He ran a lacquer art gallery in Morioka, Iwate Prefecture. "If I'd had a comfortable childhood, I wouldn't be where I am today," he said. "Hardship taught me never to fear failure and disappointment."


englishnews@chosun.com / Apr. 05, 2011 07:12 KST